The Society has a system of financial reporting in which all parts of the organization participate. The person in charge of financial reporting for any part of the Society is known as the Chancellor of the Exchequer, which is a period term for Treasurer. Current paid membership in the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. is a requirement of this office.
Holding the Office of Chancellor of the Exchequer is not nearly as daunting as it may initially seem. Common sense rules apply to everything. 99.9% of anything you will be doing is covered in this handbook, and your superior officers are there to help you with the other 0.1%.
The duties of the Chancellor of the Exchequer are best summarized as:
Take care of the money. Try to be frugal.
Don‘t put the SCA‘s money into your own account, or allow the SCA‘s money to be put in anyone else‘s account.
Be honest, courteous, responsible, and honorable in your dealings with everyone, including the populace, your superior officers, any subordinate officers, and the modern world.
Make sure everyone is kept informed about the status of the branch‘s money and equipment.
Prepare from the first day of the year to be ready to fill out the financial reports at the end of the year.
Only give the money out by check, and only after you have received receipts or carefully signed paperwork, because
you‘re answerable for the money.
When there is a problem, use Common Sense. Don‘t be afraid ask for help, too. Don‘t be afraid to change your mind, either because of advice or despite it.
Remember that it‘s okay to say ‘no‘ if the rules say you have to. Expenses must be allowable, but they don‘t always have to be desirable. There is almost always an allowable way to do something. The trick is to avoid the unallowable ways.
Never lose your sense of humor – for very long anyway.